I recently completed an epic restructuring of my current manuscript. These are some of the stages:


File cards:

I put every scene on a file card, color-coded to its narrator, and then reorganized them.

Booklets:

I put the new reorg into a booklet, one chapter per page, listing the scenes in each chapter, and everything I wanted to revise.

Chart:

I charted every subplot and character arc, indicating which chapters furthered them. (I transferred that info into the booklets as well.)

Map:

I played with Lego to map a key building. (Confession: the Lego in this photo is of the models *after* our five-year-old rearranged them. So glad I copied the arrangement onto paper shortly after I constructed it!)

Hand edit:

Print out, my booklets, my map, and a red pen.

And that’s how it’s done!

Advertisements